KureSmart Pain Management in Townson, MD specializes in minimally invasive procedures, rational medication management, and other treatment modalities for patients suffering from back pain. We are a comprehensive, full-time pain medicine practice, providing care for patients with a compassionate approach to each patient and referring physician. Dealing with back pain is fairly common, unfortunately. Most of the time it is not severe and not a medical emergency but should never be ignored. The first step is to visit your primary care physician seeking treatment. If your back pain is resistant to that initial treatment, then your PCP can write you a referral to see one of our specialists.
Symptoms of Back Pain
Back pain can range from mild to severe and should typically resolve itself in about a week. Symptoms that are caused by strain or misuse should only last a few days or weeks and are considered acute pain. Pain and symptoms that last for longer than three months is considered chronic. Back pain can have many symptoms. These symptoms include:
- Chronic ache or stiffness along the spine from the base of the neck to the hips
- Decrease in range of motion and little flexibility of the back
- Piercing pain, localized in the neck, upper back or lower back, often experienced after lifting heavy objects or other overexertion
- Persistent aching in the mid to lower back, especially after prolonged sitting or standing
- Radiating pain in the lower back or buttocks, into the thighs, calves, and feet
- Muscles spasms in lower back when attempting to stand straight
- Pain that improves with reclining
Causes of Back Pain
- Serious fall, car accident or other types of trauma
- Frequent sneezing or coughing when you’re very sick
- Improper pushing, pulling or lifting of heavy object
- Improper movements in exercise
- Muscle and ligament strain
- Everyday activities that put too much stress on your back and neck including: bending or twisting awkwardly, standing for a long period of time, sitting at your computer too long, or driving for long periods of time.
- Ruptured or bulging discs
- Irregular Curvature of spine
- Spinal stenosis
- A number of illnesses or diseases such as: paget’s disease of bone, ankylosing spondylitis, spine cancer, Cauda equina syndrome, infections (including pelvic inflammatory disease and spine, bladder, and kidney infections), shingles, or sleep disorders.
Types of Back Pain
With any type of back pain, the specialists at KureSmart Pain Management in Towson, MD need to be able to pin-point the cause. Then they can address it with the proper treatment. We offer a number of treatments for each type of back pain.
Middle and Upper Back Pain – Poor posture is the culprit to most upper and middle back pain. Years of sitting with a rounded back with shoulders hunched forward can cause too much strain on your back muscles. It can also be caused by improper carrying and lifting of heavy items, trauma or injury causing muscle strain, or Scoliosis.
Lower Back Pain – Lower back pain is very common and can be caused by any number of issues. Everyone has most likely experienced lower back pain at some point in their life. It can be a pain that comes on gradually or one that is sharp and sudden below the waist. The common cause of lower back pain is muscle strain from pushing or pulling or carrying heavy loads improperly. Other causes of lower back pain may include a pinched nerve, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis, and spondylolisthesis, where one vertebra slides over another. Rare cases of lower back pain may be caused by bacterial infections or tumors.
Pain in Spine – Pain in the spine can be isolated to one of the following regions, or present in several or all of them: Cervical (neck region), Thoracic (middle back), Lumbar (lower back), Sacral (hip/pelvic area).
Schedule an Appointment
If you are suffering from persistent back pain, it’s time to let the back pain specialists at KureSmart Pain Management help you find some relief. We serve patients in Annapolis, MD, Chestertown, MD, Easton, MD, Fort Washington, MD, Glen Burnie, MD, Kent Island, MD, Laurel, MD, Leonardtown, MD, Olney, MD, Bowie, MD, Waldorf, MD, Dundalk, MD, Dunkirk, MD, Germantown, MD, Catonsville, MD, Mt. Airy, MD, Owings Mills, MD, Towson, MD, Westminster, MD, White Marsh, MD as well as in Dover, DE, South Lyon, MI, and Novi, MI. Call one of our many office locations today or schedule an appointment online.